Friday 6 April 2012

Cheddar Gorge...going downhill

I thought I would stick the following video up just because I have the footage and I enjoyed the descent as much as I enjoyed going up through the gorge. Besides it is another chance to take a look at the scenary. I'm really glad I decided to do Cheddar Gorge on its own. It is a very special place and I suspect I'll be back to ride it again at some point in the future.

I'm not sure if my camera is totally happy when it comes to recording footage at speed. The jarring of rough road surfaces seems to make it a little jumpy and the footage tends to look either faster or slower than it was in real life. Either way rest assured there were a couple of bends in the middle of the gorge where I very nearly overcooked it by carrying too much speed into the corners. You can make out the scrubbing noise of my brakes working overtime in a few spots if you listen carefully.



Getting to Cheddar early definitely paid of as coming back through the gorge and having to dodge tourists later in the day would have been tricky. As it was my progress back to the car park was hampered by a pair of idiots in a camper van who were more engrossed in reading their map than getting out of the way of traffic.

My next ride up will be Challacombe Hill in North Devon. I'm using the fact I live in North Devon to my advantage and picking off the local climbs one by one. Towards the end of the month I'll have to start travelling around a bit more and taking on multiple climbs in one day. Hopefully by May I'll be able to start the Welsh climbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment