Some people like to spend the festive season eating and drinking too much. As I was working between Christmas and New Year I decided to spend what free time I did have more productively. There are only so many garish Christmas specials I can watch on telly so I have been busy in the garage servicing my bikes and building up my latest training tool.
I decided to get the build of the On One Macinato underway as I need to start using it soon. As it is destined for a hard life with a lot of winter riding I decided a sensible first step would be to waxoil the frame. Waxoil is smelly stuff and fairly unpleasant to spend time with in a small garage so after leaving the garage to air out for two days after applying a liberal coating to the inside of the frame it was safe to start installing the headset. I’ve gone for a Hope headset as I was able to get it at a decent price and even a simple bike can get away with the odd bit of bling. Like many home bike mechanics I fit my headsets with a mixture of proper and improvised tools; fitting the crown race took a lot of brute force and swearing but the rest of it was a doddle.
A little bit of understated bling for what is actually quite a cheap bike
I’ve decided to do the decent thing and actually cut the steerer tube down to an acceptable length. I now have a suitable workbench and a clamp on guide for cutting steerer tubes so I really don’t have a excuse to not do it when I build a bike anymore. I have tried to avoid getting all medieval and taking a hacksaw to my bikes in the past but the whole process seemed to go OK and I suspect the Uncle John will be receiving the attention of my hacksaw blade before long.
My local bike shop has been helping me put together the drive train. I’m going to start off with a 40 tooth chain ring and 19 tooth rear cog. I suspect that gearing may be a little high for some of the steeper North Devon climbs but then the whole point of the bike is to build something that will help me up my strength so maybe that won’t be such a bad thing. The chap who runs my local bike shop also knows a thing or two about building wheels and has put together a lovely back wheel for the Macinato. A fixed back wheel is a lovely looking thing with a sparse clean appearance. To somebody like me who has only ever ridden bike with freewheeling hubs the fixed back wheel is also a slightly frightening concept. Not being able to freewheel will take a bit of getting used to so I’ll be fitting flat pedals for the first few rides. I’ll also be equipping the bike with two brakes. I know it is trendy to fit a fixed gear bike with only one brake (at the front) but I’ve been a dedicated avoider of fashion my entire life and I like the idea of two brakes. I do after all live at the top of a hill. The SRAM Rival brakes from my failed rebuild of my old Bianchi will be handling the stopping duties.
There is something very satisfying about watching a bike come to life. It now has wheels and just needs a bottom bracket to be ready
My venerable old Surly Cross Check has also been receiving a bit of attention. I’ve been meaning to get it resprayed as the paint is looking really scruffy after three years of hard use. However, there is still a bit of life left in the components currently fitted to it despite the scuffed look of the chain set and derailleurs. As a result the mudguards have gone back on and it will be pressed into service as my all weather training bike. Fitting mudguards is always a thankless task and seems to take longer than logic would suggest it should.
If I got it resprayed right now I would only end up putting the old stuff back in it which would be missing the point of trying to revamp it a little bit. I also want to keep the Cross Check as a spare bike in case the Uncle John develops any problems that keep it off the road; the schedule for next year is already shaping up to be a hectic one and I want to make sure mechanicals won’t get in the way of completing the remaining 70 climbs.
Planning for the year ahead
With 70 climbs still to go and a lot of leave to use up before the end of June I’ve started to plan my attack on the remaining hills. So far this has largely involved trying to get holidays booked and buying a large map so I can see where all of the climbs are in relation to each other. Actually it is a bit more complex and there is a lot of route planning and accommodation booking to do in the next few weeks.
Behold, the map of fear. Actually I still need to add a few more climbs to it...
If everything works out and I can get the training in over the next couple of months it is possible that I could reach the 80 climb mark by the end of June. I learnt a lot last year about what I’m able to do, how the travelling impacts on my ability to get up some of the climbs and just what my weaknesses are. I think tackling another 50 of the climbs by the end of June is a realistic target, albeit one that is going to require a fair bit of discipline to achieve it. If I can manage it I can take my time over the final 20 climbs in late summer and early autumn. That’s the rough plan anyway. Now, I’ve got some more sticky labels to put on my map…